Child Care Assistant (Per Diem)
|Employment Type:||Per Diem|
|Department:||Child Care Center|
|Description:||Summary: (Summarize primary purpose of job function.) The Child Care Assistant is a member of the teaching team who is responsible for the care and education of an assigned group of children; planning and implementing the curriculum, supervising children, communicating with parents, and providing a healthy and safe environment for children. |
Reports To: Director of Child Care, Preschool Teacher, Child Care Teacher
Titles Supervised: n/a
Hours Per Week: Per Diem Days
To take care of the children in The Child Care Center.
To assist in establishing and maintaining a clean, safe and healthy learning environment
1. Helps to support the goals of the classroom keeping it clean, safe and stimulating.
2. Meets and maintains licensing requirements for ratio.
3. Assure the safety, hygiene and well-being of children in an assigned group.
4. Follow the State Licensing policies and procedures for sanitizing and disinfecting toys and surfaces.
5. Uses proper hand washing, diaper changing and toileting procedures.
6. Maintains an orderly learning environment.
To advance physical and intellectual competence
1. Provides a balance between child-initiated and teacher-directed activities.
2. Is actively engaged with children selecting age appropriate activities for them.
3. To support social and emotional development and provide positive guidance.
4. Implements hands-on activities that develop positive self-esteem.
5. Implements hands-on activities that develop social skills.
6. Implements culturally diverse and non-sexist experiences.
7. Uses and promotes positive guidance techniques.
8. Provides a variety of creative and expressive activities.
9. Manages the classroom through positive redirection, problem solving, setting appropriate limits and active listening.
10. Follows through on routines that have been established to ensure smooth transition periods.
11. Communicates with children at their developmental level.
12. Encourages children to be independent.
To establish positive and productive relationships with families
1. Considers the individual family and child in relationship to his/her culture and socio-economic background.
2. Communicates effectively and efficiently with parents at the end of the day to relay information given to them by the Child Care
To ensure a well-run, purposeful program responsive to participant needs
1. Follows the daily schedule posted in the room.
2. Assists the Preschool Teacher and the Child Care Teacher with an assigned group of children accepting direction and suggestions.
To maintain a commitment to professionalism
1. Is guided by the Core Values of The Jewish Home for the Elderly.
2. Treats each child, parent, family member and co-worker with dignity and respect.
3. Promotes The Jewish Home Child Care Centerís mission and vision, philosophy and educational objectives.
4. Completes required paperwork in a timely fashion, hands in weekly lesson plans to Director, completes conference and progress reports in a timely fashion.
5. Keeps open communication with the Director and other teachers at all times.
6. Maintains professional attitude, appearance and loyalty to the program at all times.
7. Maintains confidentiality regarding staff, families and children at all times.
8. Upon hire, each employee must begin training to meet state requirements.
9. Engages in ongoing staff development to improve personal and professional skills.
To maintain a commitment to professionalism
10. Supports the professional growth and development of colleagues by sharing materials and information and providing helpful feedback and encouragement.
11. Attends staff meetings, workshops and in-service training provided by the Child Care Center and The Jewish Home for the Elderly.
12. Attends and prepares for Open House Night.
13. Is prompt, reliable, and flexible and adheres to schedules.
14. Demonstrates a desire to grow and be open to new ideas or suggestions and constructive feedback.
15. Has comprehensive working knowledge of the Jewish Home for the Elderly Employee Handbook, The State of Connecticut Rules and Regulations for Child Care Centers, The Jewish Home Parentís Handbook, and any policies and procedures specific to The Jewish Home Child Care Center.
Any other tasks as needed by the Department
Education: High School Diploma or GED; CDA preferred, some college
Experience: Prior experience in working with very young children
Licensure: A valid work permit, which must be proven with necessary documentation as specified on an I-9 form.
Must have a warm, friendly personality, be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others and be able to relate well to children. Must be able to recognize child abuse and neglect; be flexible in receiving assignments or adapting to changes in the program; willing to accept supervision in order to improve work performance; willing to provide exceptional customer service and perform other duties as required.. Must have some knowledge of early childhood development or have the willing to learn upon hire. Must have the ability to handle multiple demands and meet deadlines, be able to read and communicate effectively.
This description of responsibilities is intended to reflect the major responsibilities and duties of the job, but is not intended to describe minor duties or other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.